Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Living in a Deep-Freezer!




Years ago, I wrote a blog post on Delhi winters, and this time it's all about Calgary winters.


I landed in Calgary in summer, and oh my God, it was beautiful. The days were long; sunrises happened at 5 am, and sunsets at 10 pm. Nice and warm afternoons, and cool breezy mornings and evenings. It was lovely.


I was in a different phase of life when I landed here, and took those summer days for granted. I spent the majority of my time doing lame things or nothing. I won't blame myself for that; it was a different time. Thinking of last summer reminds me of a fictional novel plot where the author describes a sad protagonist, beautiful surroundings, and she is lost in her thoughts, which are not worth anything but consuming her completely. That reminds me of the beginning of ‘Palomino’ by Danielle Steel, one of my very first romantic novels, and I loved it. And here I am drifting away from the topic yet again. :P


Coming back to Calgary winter. When I landed here, people were trying to warn me, scare me, and honestly, to some extent, I was scared. When this December was warm, I was hoping for a worse January, and people were saying, “Oh, December is good, January will be killer.” I lived here in -50 degrees Celsius in January and went for a walk in -45 degrees. I am more than alive, and it was not that bad. I still feel Delhi winters are more difficult than this. :P


I survived the coldest day in 55 years in Calgary, and I didn't even feel it was harsh. I wonder why these people, especially Indians who are living here for many, many years, were so scared. Delhi used to feel much colder than this, maybe because it was a moist winter with pollution and less sun. Calgary winters are dry with sun and are much better and less cold!


To be honest, -45 degrees was not bad. Different, extreme, crazy cold, colder than a deep freezer but still good.


Most days, I enjoyed good home-cooked food, coffees, teas, hot chocolates, while working from my warm and cozy home and looking outside from the glass walls, appreciating the beauty of falling snowflakes. I also stepped out on my balcony to capture the perfect snowflakes; they were the same star-shaped ones they used to show in Disney movies. It was like stars falling from the sky, so beautiful.


The temperature today is 4 degrees, and honestly, it's a hot day. All my windows are open, and I still feel it's hot. Snow is melting all around, but people said we’ll get some colder days in February as well. As long as I don't have to go out much, I am more than happy. Bring it on! :P


In the month of February, Calgary hosts a Hot Chocolate Festival every year where one can try hot chocolates in different cafes, places in the city, and give a rating online. The top-rated cafĂ© wins the contest. For my Hot Chocolate love, I am looking forward to it!  <3


Sometimes it feels like I am living a Disney princess life; other days, a Tim Burton story. Anyhow, I miss my family a lot.


Dear God, I love you, and please take care of my people. And, as you know, I always need you by my side. :)


No comments: